Sunday, January 1, 2012

Rant: Soliciting for Donations

For the past few years, I have been making all of my donations online through the various organizations’ websites where possible. My idea for doing this was to reduce the amount of paper mail that I had to recycle. I also thought it would make the money the organizations would have spent on these mailings available to support the reason for their existence.

Now, in addition to nearly daily emails, which I don’t mind deleting, I still get paper mail—some as often as bi-monthly. I could understand a yearly mailing thanking me for my support, but this barrage of mail is acting more to deter than encourage me to continue giving. I’m slowly being buried under a mountain of return address labels, cheap pens, note cards, newsletters, and calendars meant to get me to give through the mail. I expect that these so-called goodies are a significant expense that could otherwise be used to greater benefit.

Why can’t these organizations ask those who donate online if they wish to receive solicitations or any of these items in the mail when the donation is made? That for me is what I’d call a win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment