Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Read With Your Partner

I just read a note about a couple taking turns reading a book aloud on a discussion group in which I participate that reminded me of how much pleasure I got from doing the same thing. The book that we happened to do it with was 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. The story was told in the form of letters between an American screen writer and bibliophile and an English bookstore owner--the book's title is the address of the bookstore. While most books probably won't provide the natural breaks the letters provided, it wouldn't be too difficult to alternate between chapters or scenes. Not only was it a very enjoyable activity for us to do, but I feel that reading aloud enhanced my enjoyment of the book.

I'd love to hear about any experiences you may have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment